| Time for some W5YI-VEC news:
QRZ has continued a modified jumpstart program for new hams see details here:
Not much to announce this month.
We do have a quick word from Gordon West:
From Gordon West, wb6noa
If W5YI Volunteer Examiners are also Instructors teaching classes.
Volunteer Examiners and Instructor / Elmers are ham radio ambassadors. We are on the front line for introducing kids and adults to our ham radio hobby and service.
One Saturday you are testing, and the next weekend, you are conducting a class for kids! Amazing what volunteers like you can do.
The W5YI remote testing exams are leading in test taker applicants over. Thanks Allan for all you have done in designing this ham testing process with Richard at HamStudy.
For W5YI registered instructors and VEs, Larry at W5YI also has a color patch for you, too. CVEs, outfit your team with a VE patch! Lead instructors, outfit your elmer helpers with an instructor patch.
Allan has redesigned our Haminstructor web site, so we ask that you all register, and post your class dates, too. This is a completely new site, so please re-register if you once registered long time ago.
VEs, your upcoming exam schedules can be displayed at the W5YI VEC site, too. In person or remote exams - log them in the exam.tools site
Let's meet up at a hamfest soon! Thank you all for your volunteer efforts.
Quartzfest (.org) will have daily remote W5YI exam sessions going on, from CVEs Gary and Debbie Johnson leading the training and testing. Working with them will be the legend W5YI CVE and remote examiner Stephen Hutchings. All this testing and VE training for a week on the desert floor.
Thanks again for all you do for our hobby and service!
1. The New w5yi-vec.org has been deployed. One new feature is a live table of exam.tools sessions sorted by in person or remote. This table is updated each time the link is clicked. Even if you don't use exam.tools to give exams, please post your exam schedule there, you can select in the schedule if you wish to use exam tools for registration and / or grading. Exam.tools can create ( if used for registration) a preprinted 605 and CSCE for your team and applicant to sign.
3. A new haminstructor.com site has also been deployed. This site requires a new registration to access the instructor resources. it now has a calendar so you can post your classes for all to see. The calendar display is for the next 60 days. Please note the site requires you to verify your email address. This is done by sending you an email that you must cut and paste a URL into your browser. Until you have verified your email your registration is on hold and not usable.
4. W5YI-VEC has been on Ham Nation a couple of times lately talking about exam tools and testing. Search for HRCC on YouTube and watch the Gordon West segments.
5. The FCC has put out a notice that the CORES site is not compatible with phones or tablets. This means your applicants need to use a desktop to pay their application fee. If the applicant uses a phone or tablet to make their payment, it will appear that the payment went through with no issues and their card will be charged but the payment will NOT be applied to the application as it should be and the pending application WILL NOT be granted. Please keep track of your applicants after they have tested and make sure they pay their fees.
6. The new VE Manual is finally here! This is a complete re-write of the old manual. Some policies have been added & updated so PLEASE READ! Please make sure your VE's have read the new manual as well. A complete PDF can be downloaded from the W5YI-VEC site
As a reminder...
Technician Exam - 35 questions (9 passes, 10 fails)
General Exam - 35 questions (9 passes, 10 fails)
Extra Exam - 50 questions (13 passes, 14 fails)
8. If the applicant does not already have an FRN, the FCC has also mandated that every applicant pre-register in CORES and obtain a FRN to supply instead of their SSN. The FRN must be on the 605 or it will be placed on hold.
*** FOLLOW UP ON YOUR APPLICANTS!! Don't just submit them and forget them. You may view the progress of your applicants by watching their applicantion on the FCC site. Change the search box to FRN and enter your applicants FRN. If you see that your applicant has not paid their fee, reach out to them and speak with them to make sure they understand what to do. Provide them with the Fee Payment link if they can't find it or didn't receive their email from the FCC. If the applicant does not know or remember their FRN/CORES password, they will need to contact the FCC at 877-480-3201 or submit Help Request.
MAKE SURE THAT ALL OF YOUR APPLICANTS ARE PROCESSED AND GRANTED BY THE FCC!!
10. The FCC mandated that every applicant must answer the Basic Qualification Question (BQQ). If the applicant answers "Yes" to the Felony Question, they will receive an email from W5YI-VEC with full instructions once the application has been submitted to the FCC and receives a File #.
13. The Question has been asked several times about tablets. We recommend the Amazon Fire 8 HD tablet. These can be purchased on sales quite often. Woot.com is an Amazon surplus site that has the tablet on sale quite often for $19.99. Even Amazon has them on sale often for less than $60. The w5yi-vec.org web site has a resources page that describes how to setup and secure the Amazon tablets.
Thank you W5YI VEC