| Time for some W5YI-VEC news:
QRZ has continued a modified jumpstart program for new hams through March 31, 2023 see details here:
More and more teams are now using exam.tools. This greatly speeds application processing at W5YI VEC. While it is great to see all of the sessions listed, it has been noted that several teams seem to be scheduling more than a couple sessions per day. This can make it difficult for people to find local or remote sessions they want to participate in. Richard ( the developer of exams.tools) has asked that sessions not be scheduled back to back and that sessions listed must be regularly scheduled. i.e. same time each day or week. He has implemented some restrictions on some teams ( not W5YI that I know of).
Please make sure that if you have a credit card on file for your
Sessions with our office, that your card is not expired or about to
expire. Please insure that the card information that we have on file is
up to date. If you have not already done so, please contact us at
The W5YI VEC license renewal fee has changed to $10. This is for renewal applications submitted to W5YI.
Please read the new VE Manual, there were quite a number of changes made last year!
1. The New w5yi-vec.org has been deployed. One new feature is a live table of exam.tools sessions sorted by in person or remote. This table is updated each time the link is clicked. Even if you don't use exam.tools to give exams, please post your exam schedule there, you can select in the schedule if you wish to use exam tools for registration and / or grading. Exam.tools can create ( if used for registration) a preprinted 605 and CSCE for your team and applicant to sign.
2. Several CVE's have asked about testing with tablets. We recommend the Amazon Fire 8 HD tablet. These can be purchased on sales quite often. Woot.com is an Amazon surplus site that has the tablet on sale quite often for $19.99. The W5YI-VEC.org site has 2 sets of instructions on how to setup the Amazon Fire HD tablets. The instructions for using ADB are probably best if you have over 5 tablets to setup. Thanks to Herb AA7HW and Michael WT9V for their research and time to put this together.
4. A new haminstructor.com site has also been deployed. This site requires a new registration to access the instructor resources. it now has a calendar so you can post your classes for all to see. The calendar display is for the next 60 days. Please note the site requires you to verify your email address. This is done by sending you an email that you must cut and paste a URL into your browser. Until you have verified your email your registration is on hold and not usable.
5. The FCC has put out a notice that the CORES site is not compatible with phones or tablets. This means your applicants need to use a desktop to pay their application fee. If the applicant uses a phone or tablet to make their payment, it will appear that the payment went through with no issues and their card will be charged but the payment will NOT be applied to the application as it should be and the pending application WILL NOT be granted. Please keep track of your applicants after they have tested and make sure they pay their fees.
6. The VE Manual was updated last year. Some policies have been added & updated so PLEASE READ! Please make sure your VE's have read the new manual as well. A complete PDF can be downloaded from the W5YI-VEC site
As a reminder...
Technician Exam - 35 questions (9 passes, 10 fails)
General Exam - 35 questions (9 passes, 10 fails)
Extra Exam - 50 questions (13 passes, 14 fails)
8. If the applicant does not already have an FRN, the FCC has also mandated that every applicant pre-register in CORES and obtain a FRN to supply instead of their SSN. The FRN must be on the 605 or it will be placed on hold.
*** FOLLOW UP ON YOUR APPLICANTS!! Don't just submit them and forget them. You may view the progress of your applicants by watching their applicantion on the FCC site. Change the search box to FRN and enter your applicants FRN. If you see that your applicant has not paid their fee, reach out to them and speak with them to make sure they understand what to do. Provide them with the Fee Payment link if they can't find it or didn't receive their email from the FCC. If the applicant does not know or remember their FRN/CORES password, they will need to contact the FCC at 877-480-3201 or submit Help Request.
MAKE SURE THAT ALL OF YOUR APPLICANTS ARE PROCESSED AND GRANTED BY THE FCC!!
10. The FCC mandated that every applicant must answer the Basic Qualification Question (BQQ). If the applicant answers "Yes" to the Felony Question, they will receive an email from W5YI-VEC with full instructions once the application has been submitted to the FCC and receives a File #.
Thank you W5YI VEC